3.28.2013

IN WHICH I SPEAK OF FLEETWOOD MAC IN THE SPRING, AND MY CHILDREN DON'T REALLY FEEL THE MAGIC.

We rocket down the mountain; Driving so fast at one point I almost exceed the speed limit. The spring sun is beating down on my baseball hat, coffee's getting flat, windows down, breeze bolting through. Spring has sprung.

-Daddy, will you tell us a story?

No.
I say.
We have to listen to Fleetwood Mac.

(At this point, you're probably thinking something like: 'oh excellent! He's going to play some classic 'Mac for the kids.'

What's he going to lead with - Dreams? Sara? Rhiannon?'

Nope. I'm intrigued by artists who are referred to like they're dead...or at least like their creative output is dead, when the reality couldn't be further from that. So, I put on one of the best tracks from their recent 2003 beauty of an album Say You Will.)

"This song is called Running Through the Garden," I say.
"It's kind of funny, because the girl's name is Stevie and the guy's name is Lindsey. What do you think?"

- I like her voice.
My daughter says.

Yep. One of my favourite voices ever.

(That icy warm, ephemeral voice racing alongside Mr. Buckingham's finger-melting guitar acrobatics. Chills.)

My headbanging reverie was interrupted by voices in the carseats behind:

- Since Daddy isn't going to tell us a story, should we to listen to Bob Dylan now?

I'll tell you a story now! 
I protest.

-Bob Dylan! I want to listen to Bob Dylan.
The boy screeches.

You guys don't want to listen to any more Fleetwood Mac?
I ask.

-We'll just listen to Bob Dylan. I'll find him on the iTouch, Daddy.

We quietly rocket down the mountain, Dylan's "I Want You" vainly trying to fill the Spring air.
We'll come back to Fleetwood. In a year, or a decade. Hello, Spring.
And so you run to war.
What you know is wrong.
There are too many flowers to cut down.
All the love I have for your life.
Turn around.
Note: I believe this song is directly inspired by Nathaniel Hawthorne's short story "Rappaccini's Daughter."

Fleetwood Mac
Running Through the Garden
Say You Will
2003

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you. Thanks for your comments!