5.25.2013

...What are you listening to these days? (Twenty One Pilots, Modest Mouse)

...What do you listen to when you're not working?

I asked the barista.

- "Let's see...Twenty One Pilots. Have you heard them?"

No.
I said.

Enthusiastic, he continued:
"They're out of Ohio and on the same label, Fueled by Ramen, as Fun. Who I also like. Twenty One Pilots is hip hop...but it's also got like an electronic thing, a little similar to Macklemore. Who I also like. 

A CUSTOMER SEATED SEVERAL FEET AWAY JOINED THE CONVERSATION.

Girl:
"Twenty One Pilots are good, but I can't stand Fun. They're just trying to sound like Queen.

Me:
Well it pretty much all comes back to Queen and the Beatles, doesn't it?

Barista:
Queen's good too. Check out Twenty One Pilots though. They're so good.

Me: 
I'll do that.

Girl:
"Alt-J is really good too."

Cool. 
I said. 

"Modest Mouse is great too," she said. "You know them?"

Yep.
I said.
Big fan.

"You probably know Ugly Casanova too."

Yep.
I said.
Not a big fan.

"Oh."
She said.
"And Tom Petty is really good. I saw him at the Gorge."

I love the Gorge Ampitheater.
I said.
I'd like to see Modest Mouse out there.

"Definitely check out Twenty One Pilots,"
the barista said.

Thanks guys!
I said cheerfully, and left.

Music is a Thing. A Thing to talk about and open up great little mini-conversations with strangers. Mini-conversations that will soon be forgotten by everyone.

Except me. I scribble notes furiously on the ubiquitous 4x6
notecards always hanging out in my back pocket.

Twenty One Pilots, here I come.

Thanks for the good convo, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you. Thanks for your comments!