6.21.2013

CONVERSATIONS WITH ART AT JACKPOT RECORDS: DJ Koze, Thee Oh Sees, Sigur Rós

My Friday afternoon conversation with Art, who I've never met, but chat with every Friday on the telephone (I have a cellular telephone, so I don't need a cord. Nobody gets tripped).

____


RING. RING.

"Jackpot Records."

- Hey Art.

I said.

- Happy Friday afternoon. It's Joseph. What are you listening to?

"Oh hey. Umm…let me think of what's come out recently…"

- Well,

I said.

- While you're thinking, wanted to tell you that I really dig Parquet Courts. You told me about them last Friday. Really enjoy. Bummed I missed them in Portland last week.

"Oh yeah, really good show. Let's see…there's an album by DJ Koze. Guest artists, mostly just him though, really good listen. There's also a band called Thee Oh Sees. San Francisco group, very garagey rock, like the Kinks, but faster and crazier. Very prolific, but their latest is called "Floating Coffin." It's really good.

And…let me see. There's a new Sigur Rós. Really good. Just came out Tuesday. "Kveikur," I'm not sure if that's how to pronounce it -

(laughs)

Me:

- I never know how to pronounce any of their album or song titles.

(I laugh)

"I know!"

He laughs

"It's a little more upbeat, not as slow and sad."

- Looking forward to it.

I said.

- And I've also enjoyed Mac DeMarco, who you told me about. Haven't gotten around yet to the Change the Beat compilation, but I will do so soon.

"Good. One other one that we've been enjoying is a compilation of old African '70s music…these bands in Africa that were doing psychedelic rock called "African Scream Contest." Two-record set. Really interesting."

- Well, I know you've got people there, so I'll let you roll. Thanks for the recommends, Art. Talk to you next Friday!

"Yeah, you too.

Click.

____

Have a delicious, melody-filled weekend, all! And say hi to Art if you see him. Or if not him, hi to a random stranger.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you. Thanks for your comments!