6.04.2013

FROM THERE TO HERE AND THEN TO NOW, AND NOW THERE ARE ELVES.

I pressed Go and Luna's This Time Around rolled out of our speakers. Immediately I was transported back to 2002's Southern California freeway soundtrack with Becca. Jammed up with six miles of automobiles between us and our exit, motorcycles whizzing between lanes. But who cares, with good music and good conversation and maybe an Americano in the beverage slot.

Turn it up!

My wife bossed me around as she whipped up a breakfast smoothie for a table full of little elves. So I cranked it up, and the pajama-clad crew rolled their eyes as the morning sun illuminated their AWESOME (oh yes, we are awesome) parents dancing to Manic Street Preachers rendition of 'You're Just too Good to be True.' Incidentally, also the song we skipped down the aisle to a decade-and-change ago. MSP left a little of their arena bombast behind for their sweet, vaguely edgy version.

Then: the next track rolled around on a 2011 playlist I had assembled and - this is the part I love - my daughter came running up with grin.

"Daddy, I know who this is!"

You do?
I said.

"It's Jason Lytle!"

Wow.
I said.
No...but that is an excellent guess, and Jason Lytle is one of the greatest American musicians of the last quarter century, so that is so cool that you thought of him!

Countess Becca chimed in - and before I say more, you must know that she has an uncanny ear for melody, and for readily identifying the menagerie of music I spin and try to stump her with. "Is it...Snow Patrol?"

Nope.
I said.
Nada Surf.
____


Why am I writing this? Because every day is better with good music in it.

And sometimes it helps to enjoy the Now by reminiscing about the Then.

Happy Dienstag, world.

ONE OF THESE IS THE GREATEST SONG EVER, BUT I CANNOT REMEMBER WHICH.
Luna
This Time Around
Bewitched
1994

Manic Street Preachers 

You're Just too Good to be True
Lipstick Traces: A Secret History of Manic Street Preachers
2003

Nada Surf

Inside of Love
Let Go
2002



No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you. Thanks for your comments!