1.09.2016

THE DAY (MOBY), PLUS 'BETTER THAN JULIE.'



BETTER THAN JULIE?
Daddy, daddy!
they shrilled.
Push us on the tire swing, push us FAST on the tire swing!!

Why?
I said.
Why should I push you? We're at a park. You're supposed to be playing, not swinging.

Because it's fun!
the shrilling continued.
And because you're good at pushing!

One of the two - I recognized her; I think she may have been my daughter - paused mid-shriek.
Yeah, you're a pretty good pusher,
she said.

Probably like the fourth best in the world.
Oh.
I said.
Why not Top Three?

Well,
she said.
Julie Natiuk is the third best. One time she pushed us and she was very good at it. Better than you.

Okay.
I said.
Fair enough. Who's got the top two spots then?

She shrugged.
I don't know. But I'm sure there's a couple people somewhere in the world I haven't met who are better at pushing than you.

Alright.
I said.
I guess I could push you for a little bit. After all, you guys are on my Top 100 best children in the world list.

What?!
she shrieked.
Top hundred?!

Yep.
I said.
Probably 93 and 94. Something like that.

Well who's higher than?

she asked.
I don't know.
I said.
I haven't met all the children in the world, but there's probably some I'd like more.

DADDY!!
she yelled.
and I started pushing. Higher and faster than they'd ever gone before. Because I'm the best...or at least best-ish. I'll take a Top 5 finish. Props, Julie. Way to set the bar fairly high.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you. Thanks for your comments!