6.28.2013

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE (MINUTE OF RIGHT NOW : A RHYME FOR MY SON ON HIS THIRD BIRTHDAY).





Today, my son is three.
Soon I will be
a hundred and free.

I said here's what you gotta know:

You always try,
and it's alright to cry.

Looks grow old,
books keep you warm in the cold.

Leopards can change their spots and bears go moo,
check for toilet paper when you enter a loo to go poo.

Be a skeptic, not a cynic,
if you can't think of a word, make one up…like "Ninik."

Climb the stairs in tall towers,
in the sad times, find beautiful flowers.

You're human and the moment is now,
so rejoice that yer not fattened-up Tillamook cow.

Fight for what's right
and be a kind, jolly knight.
Laugh really hard
and avoid pork and lard
and you might live long
with heart in your song.

Dress up, and be a kid,
no matter the age,
you'll be glad you did.

Remember we love you like the fine human you are,
you're a unique little fella, you've set a high bar.

There can be only one.* Of you. 

So always be that. 
You.


Joseph Ivan Long

(a.k.a. your Dad, a.k.a. Highlander McLong).


*strangely, I am not in favor of human cloning

____


I paint objects as I think them, not as I see them.

- Mr. P. Picasso

(I find him a kindred spirit, because my optometrist would likely concur that I am better at thinking than seeing).


Two birds in the distance flyThey land and they settle down,SomewhereA year is just a drop in time



Mercury Rev
A Drop in Time
All Is Dream
2003

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you. Thanks for your comments!