7.22.2013

Aesop (You May Draw Your Own Geo-Political Moral from the Following Exchange)

I was chatting with the children about the composer Brahms, and offhandedly mentioned that he was born in Germany. My son leaped in:

"I was born in North America!"

His sister, with the wise condescension of Mr. Miyagi, corrected him:

- "Actually, you were born in the United States of America."

His disgruntlement was enormous and public.

"No I wasn't! I WAS BORN IN NORTH AMERICA!!"

- "No...you were actually born in the United States of America," with accompanying facial expressions expressing the tolerant wisdom of the ages.

"NORTH AMERICA!!!!"

At this point, I could have United Nation-ed things and worked on brokering a peace accord, but I decided to let them learn some independent conflict resolving. Plus, it was immensely entertaining. So I stayed out, aside from sticking on a well-worn record of Brahms' Hungarian dances to score the proceedings. 

I love maps, even though they confuse me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you. Thanks for your comments!